In recent years, with the change of international trade environment, the textile and garment industry relies more and more on the consumer market.In order to understand the actual demand and consumption trend of China’s textile and apparel terminal market, the Shanghai office of China National Textile And Apparel Federation and Donghua University started to carry out an annual sample survey of terminal consumption in 2012.The survey focuses on the Shanghai area.The sudden outbreak of coVID-19 at the beginning of this year disrupted the rhythm of people’s life, thus impacting the domestic consumer market, and making the operation of textile and garment enterprises encounter unprecedented difficulties.As a result, our investigation this year has been expanded to cover the entire Chinese mainland and the impact of the epidemic on consumption has been added.It is hoped to provide reference for judging the operating environment of textile and garment industry in the second half of the year.A total of 1,125 samples were collected in this survey, with the age distribution ranging from 16 to 74 years old covering all regions except Xizang, and most of them are concentrated in the age stage of active consumption between 25 and 50 years old.The questionnaire is mainly divided into three parts: one is the basic information of the respondents, the other is the consumption of the respondents, and the third is the impact of the epidemic.
First. Basic information of respondents
About two-thirds of the sample were women, based on the basic profile of the respondents;In terms of educational background, 59.4% of them have bachelor’s degree or above;In terms of age, those aged between 25 and 50 accounted for 63.4%.Therefore, most of the samples investigated are the main consumer groups, which can objectively reflect the actual situation of the current end consumers.
According to the survey of consumers’ income in 2020, 35.02% of them said their income had decreased this year, 46.04% said their income had not changed, and only 18.93% said their income had increased.Compared with the situation in previous years, the number of people with reduced income has increased considerably.This should be largely related to the impact of COVID-19 this year.
Second. Consumption survey
The investigation of the consumption situation is mainly carried out from three aspects.One is the consumption channel, two is the consumption ability, three is the consumption habit.From the statistical data, the following information can be obtained:
1. From the perspective of consumption channels, online shopping has become the most important shopping channel for consumers, with 50.84% of respondents saying that online shopping is their main channel of clothing purchase, and this proportion is increasing year by year.The second shopping channel is department stores, accounting for 26.31%, but this proportion is slowly decreasing year by year.The other channel of choice, clothing stores, held steady at 17.78 percent this year.From the point of view of consumers of different age and income groups, low-income and young people are more likely to shop online, while people over the age of 50 are more likely to buy clothes in department stores.High-income people tend to go to clothing stores.
2. From the perspective of the frequency of consumers buying clothes, most of them are once a month, accounting for 41.07%.Most people spend 300-1000 yuan on clothes every month, and the proportion of this group is 42.67%.In terms of the price of clothing items, most people buy clothes at 100-300 yuan per piece, accounting for 52.98%, followed by 300-1000 yuan per piece, accounting for 27.47%.
3. In the survey, 51.2% of respondents said that they have spent less on clothes this year, and 25.87% said it has decreased significantly.This percentage is significantly higher than in previous years.
4. In the survey of the primary factors affecting the purchase of clothing, 56.44% of people believe that the style of clothing is the primary factor affecting his purchase of clothing.It was followed by 29.96 percent who said price was the most important factor.Only 8 per cent cited brand as the primary factor.
5. The mode of webcast with goods is attracting people’s attention. In this survey, 69.33% of people know about this mode of shopping, 14.4% are very concerned about it, and 8.8% of people have already spent money through webcast with goods.
6. In the survey on the existing problems in clothing design, production, production and sales, the two problems that are most criticized by consumers are the high price of clothing and the lack of distinct personality in clothing design, accounting for 43.91% and 41.96%, respectively.
7. In terms of brand recognition, domestic brands are still recognized by the majority of consumers, with 71.64% of respondents expressing their approval of domestic brands.
8. As for the budget of clothing in the second half of the year, 37.6% said that the budget was decreasing, and 17.87% said that it would be significantly reduced, which is a significant increase compared with previous years.Only 10.49 percent of those surveyed this year said the budget would be increased.
Third, the impact of coVID-19
The coVID-19 epidemic has had a certain negative impact on consumers’ income, consumption behavior, consumption psychology and other aspects. However, according to the survey, the level of impact is not as big as expected, and consumers’ consumption behavior is relatively rational.
1. In terms of income, only 6.13% of respondents believe that there is a significant negative impact, while 43.38% say that the impact is small and 28.36% say that there is no impact.When asked if anyone in their family had lost a job as a result of the outbreak, only 17.24 percent said they had.
2. The epidemic has a certain impact on consumption. Among the respondents, 62.4% said that consumption has decreased or even no desire to consume at all, 35.82% said that consumption has not been affected, and 1.78% said that consumption has increased.
3. As for whether there will be retaliatory consumption on clothes after the epidemic, only 12.44% of people said yes, while 77.78% said no.
4. As for people’s views on the trend of domestic economic situation after the epidemic, most of them are optimistic or very optimistic, accounting for 54.93%.Only 19.82 percent said they were pessimistic or very pessimistic.
The consumption behavior of consumers is becoming more and more rational, and the price and style of clothing are the most important factors that consumers pay attention to.Online shopping and other more convenient ways of consumption are becoming more and more popular, and the model of webcast with goods will receive greater attention.However, the consumption patterns and demands of different classes of consumer groups are still quite different.
Through the sample survey of end consumers, we can see that due to the impact of COVID-19 this year, consumers’ income has been affected to a certain degree, and their consumption ability and desire for clothing have decreased.Although people are optimistic about the economic situation in the future, the expenditure budget is still reduced, so the demand of the clothing market will remain in a relatively depressed state in the second half of the year.This will have a certain negative impact on the operation of textile and garment enterprises, and it will be particularly important to correctly grasp consumers’ consumption psychology and demand.